Thursday, February 26, 2009

Next week...

One week from today I will turn 30 AND I will be lying on a beach in Hawaii!
Thirty doesn't seem so scary mostly because around here I'm called the "baby". I'm the youngest in Aaron's family, I'm the youngest of our friends. Maybe if I was home where I grew up, with all my family and friends I would feel more upset about turning the big 3-0 since I would be among the first. As it is I don't feel so bad, I'll definitely miss my 20's, I'm sure it will be one of the most memorable decades in my life. However, I'm told your 30's is where it's at and it gives me a great excuse to do something a little bit more extravagant for my birthday.
Our world 30 years ago (1979):
Average cost of a house- $58,100
Average cost of a gal of gas- $0.86
Margaret Thatcher elected prime minister in UK
USSR invades Afghanistan
Three Mile Island nuclear accident in Pennsylvania
Sony introduces the first walkman for $200 (makes me wonder how much ipods will be 30 years from now).
Snowboard was invented.
Quiz game Trivial Pursuit is launched.
Popular movies- Superman, Alien, Rocky II
Popular music- Blondie "Heart of Glass" Gloria Gaynor "I will Survive"

Me at 8:

Me at 18:

Me at 28:


HMMMM 38???

3 comments:

Becca said...

yeah for 30!!! I can't wait!I won't be on the sandy beaches of Hawaii so do me a favor and soak it up a little for me as well!!!Can you believe it!!! this means we've known each other for over 22 years!

Happy Pre Birthday girl!!!Love your guts!

AnieCooper said...

Happy early birthday Julie :) I wish we were celebrating it with you ;) I wonder if Sophia is waiting to share her birthday with you haha ;) I can't wait to hear all about how your trip goes! I'm quite jealous...especially if our little girl decides to hold out till I turn 30 to be born!

Love you!!!

Laura said...

I am jealous of you for two reasons:

1. You are going to Hawaii

2. You are entering your 30s so gracefully. I, on the other hand, will be kicking and screaming!