Have you ever started a tradition that you regretted after the first year, but kept it up anyway?? I did, and it is all about St. Patricks Day. A pretty stupid holiday if you asked me, but I guess I was feeling festive 4 years ago and and began something that I didn't realize I would not be too excited about later. I told Mia that leprechauns liked playing tricks on sleeping children and the night before St. Patrick's Day they would sneak into the house and play a few of their tricks. Now every March 16 I have to think of some way to wreak havoc upon our house and blame it on the leprechauns. This year the leprechauns toilet papered the kids rooms, colored all Mia's nails green in her sleep and dyed our eggs green. Oh and a daddy leprechaun got excited and cut up a bunch of confetti and threw it all over the rooms too, and I have the joy of cleaning it all up. Over the years our windows have been tinted green with green saran wrap, our milk has been turned green, we've had shamrocks taped up all over the house, and all our socks mis-matched. Those sneaky leprechauns! The sooner this tradition is over the better! Any ideas for next year? I'm out (nothing too over the top for mommy's sake).
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
St. Patty's
Have you ever started a tradition that you regretted after the first year, but kept it up anyway?? I did, and it is all about St. Patricks Day. A pretty stupid holiday if you asked me, but I guess I was feeling festive 4 years ago and and began something that I didn't realize I would not be too excited about later. I told Mia that leprechauns liked playing tricks on sleeping children and the night before St. Patrick's Day they would sneak into the house and play a few of their tricks. Now every March 16 I have to think of some way to wreak havoc upon our house and blame it on the leprechauns. This year the leprechauns toilet papered the kids rooms, colored all Mia's nails green in her sleep and dyed our eggs green. Oh and a daddy leprechaun got excited and cut up a bunch of confetti and threw it all over the rooms too, and I have the joy of cleaning it all up. Over the years our windows have been tinted green with green saran wrap, our milk has been turned green, we've had shamrocks taped up all over the house, and all our socks mis-matched. Those sneaky leprechauns! The sooner this tradition is over the better! Any ideas for next year? I'm out (nothing too over the top for mommy's sake).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I actually did the same thing for madison 2 years ago. Some things that they have done here are
Make her bed inside-out (they don't always come in the night, sometimes they forget and come while she is at school, or this year, probably during dinner)
Dump her toys out of her toybox, turn her stuffed animals on their heads, hide her toothbrush, turn her clothes inside out and hang them back on the hangers, turn the milk green, leave little footprints (glitter) all over, leave shamrocks in silly places, and they always leave a little poem with clues to a special surprise.
I have to do the same thing for my students. It gets old.
You're such a good mom. You could do something with Luck Charms next year. I don't know what exactly, maybe make some kind of trail outside for them to follow?? Anyway, I think it's a cute tradition.
oh Julie, I have to say that sounds like the funnest holiday ever!!! Why have you never told us! I love the things you have come up with! My girls would go nuts! i say keep it up! Your kids will love love love St. Patricks day and have wonderful memories because you made it so special.
Post a Comment