Thursday, April 2, 2009

1000 page dilema

How am I supposed to get through the next 1000 pages of this:



When I have this waiting for me:


Do you know what it's like going from "fluff" novels


to a hard core literature classic? It is so hard for me to not pick up the Shopaholic series while I'm only a quarter of the way through War and Peace. I never should have started the fluff! I should have gotten through the serious novels first, then saved ALL the fluff for after. I still have 1000+ pages to go. I'm not used to that. I'm used to whipping through books, and the 400 pages I have read has taken me 2 weeks! Since War and Peace is so complex(for me) I can't just set it down and read my other series and then go back to it, I'll have to start all over! Don't get me wrong, I've always wanted to read War and Peace since I never did in HS or college, and I'm enjoying the characters and the different plots, but I don't know if I have the will power to hold on for 1100 more pages before getting back to the fluff. At the rate I'm going I won't be done for 5-6 weeks, I've never taken that long to finish a book on my own. I'll let you know how it goes...

4 comments:

The Pancake Master said...

Hey, at least you're smart enough to identify them as "fluff" novels, and ambitious enough to even try (let alone succeed as I'm sure you have) more literary works.

Whitney said...

I hated Confessions of a Shopaholic. So if you haven't started reading that one, I would say stay away anyway, because it's a waste of time, War and Peace will be much more rewarding.
If you're looking for a good new series, read Hunger Games, it's soooo good!

The Wards said...

Julie, I did russian literature at college and am a real afficianado. But I will be honest with you, I hate War and Peace! I love Anna Karenina or Brother's Karamazov, give me Crime and Punishment any day, but War and Peace is too much for even a real fan of russian literature! So don't feel bad. At least you don't have to read it in russian. But it is one of those books its nice to have said, "I've read it!"

Maria and Ryan said...

I love this blog Julie! It makes me laugh so much...I'm named after the Maria in War and Peace so I'm required to love it. And, actually, I think it's an awesome piece of work. Tolstoy is a MASTER of writing. I'm proud of you for sticking through it! Good luck!