Friday, October 9, 2009

To four or not to four? That is the question.

Number Four Pictures, Images and Photos
I love my family. I love the dynamics. I love having one little girl to do girly things with while my two boys can hang out together. Three kids really suits me. I've moved passed the baby stage, I have no bottles or diapers. Everyone walks and talks and can sit through a movie. I'm looking forward to moving on to the stage where they are all in school and become more independent.
Aaron is convinced however that we need one more. He wants four kids! He was the one who before we had kids only wanted two and I talked him into three because two wasn't enough for me. Oh how the tables have turned!
I have this hanging over my head on a daily basis. There always seems to be some comment or suggestion about four. It's funny getting other people's reactions because some don't bat an eye when I say Aaron wants another. I was talking to a mother whose child is in my preschool class and she is pregnant with her 4th, I told her my husband wanted 4, but three is all I could handle and she just said "Four is no big deal, we're planning one more after this THEN we'll be done." She's not mormon or catholic either! Five kids has always been her ideal family. Then there's the flip side with people who have one or two and already think three kids is a big family and you mention that someone wants one more and they act like you're just insane. The only comments that bother me are the ones who say "you have too many already" or "you can't afford that" how do they know?! Those comments make me want one more just to spite them. That's dumb, I know, but I'm just being honest!
I'm happy with three, so how do you make this decision? If one spouse thinks one thing is right for your family and the other thinks another, how do you compromise? All I do know is that I cherish my kids, I can manage the challenges they present and I am content with the family I have, but since Aaron can't say the same it makes it seem uneven. I'm happy with 3 and wouldn't even be having this "blogversation" if it weren't for my stinking husband. Why didn't anyone ever tell me life isn't easy?!

5 comments:

AnieCooper said...

Well...personally that is too many for me ;) We will be done with two. I'm amazed at all you do already with 3! But if you want to have a 4th I think that is great ;) Just make sure you have the 4th when we are ready for our 2nd so our kiddos are the same age ;) Keep me posted. I can't wait to hear what you decide! love you!

The Wards said...

Just think about the family you grew up in Julie! Do you think you could do it? Remember you have Mia now and she will be even more and more help if you do have a new one. You won't be doing it all on your own, she will be mommy number 2, she already is isn't she? It seemed that way to me this summer. I'm not saying you must have 4, because ironically I am debating the same issue. I am sure I want 1 more, but do I want 2more? I will cross that bridge when I get there I guess! Good luck!

Renee said...

You know you have one more waiting for you. You don't wanna look back and ever regret. Really is it that much of a compromize? It's another little person to add to your family. It'll be that much more fun, love, hugs and kisses, firsts,laughs, grandkids, a sister for Mia, another shopping buddy? My biggest regret is we couldn't have more. If it were me I would do it in a heartbeat! Just remember you asked :) I hope it all works out. I'm rooting for Aaron!

Jamie said...

I think that you should it down with Aaron and talk about why you want to have one more or why you don't want to have more and then pray and see what your answer is. Good luck!

Maria and Ryan said...

Wow, you have some serious comment feedback here. Good luck deciding! Love you guys!