Monday, July 25, 2011

The more the merrier!

We only do big birthday parties for our kids every other year. It was too much stress, time and money to do it every year for three kids and definitely now with four. This year is an "off" year. We do a small family gathering with dinner, cake and gifts. I will let the kids have a friend over, something small that doesn't require a lot of effort. For instance, Noah had two friends over when we had cake and then they all watched a movie. It didn't cost me anything and it made his day a little more special. This year Kai knew there wasn't going to be a huge party, but asked if two friends could meet us at the park. Sure, it was a simple request. Well...one of the mother's took it upon herself to invite half of their pre-k class! Really it wouldn't have mattered, but I had brought cupcakes and sidewalk chalk and with the increase in kids I almost didn't have enough. But Kai had fun, and everyone got a cupcake. We got home from the park and just as we were about to open gifts we had a very happy surprise. Our Sacramento cousins were at our door! They used to live next to us and the kids were close, but they moved back and we've missed them ever since. They opened gifts with us and we had a nice visit. They joined us for dinner, Kai's pick, Red Robin. There we were sitting in Red Robin, a big party of 15 and I just thought, everyone is here because it's Kai's birthday. It ended up much bigger than I thought, but it was just the kind of day Kai loves.

Park playdate turned birthday party


I even said "no gifts"!


Eager to open them.


Cousins :)


Last, but not least Kai's birthday cake. Isn't he sweet?!

No comments: