Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Couch sweet couch

First I want to recap our wonderful Thanksgiving. We celebrated with Aaron's family and it was relaxed and cozy. We did absolutely NO black Friday shopping. Instead, the kids spent the night at nana Debbie and papa David's and Aaron and I slept in past 10 am. It was heaven. We made the most of it and had lunch just the two of us at a new burger joint in town, Jack's Prime, best burger I've ever had...ever. Then on Saturday, my sis Whitney and her husband Adam came up for a visit with his family. They were at Adam's family's house for Thanksgiving in Santa Cruz. We had a great day together, but it went by too fast. Then we spent Sunday and Monday getting our Christmas decorations up.
Now on to the topic of this post. When we moved into this house we had to buy a new sectional for the family room because our old one (that was only 2 years old) was the wrong configuration for this new house. The funny thing is we loved our old sectional so much we bought the same one, just in a different fabric. I actually like the fabric of this new one better than the old, but the color is lighter and as you can imagine lighter is NOT better when you have kids. Anyway, we waited so long for this couch to arrive it started getting ridiculous. We were using a twin futon laid out to sit on. The couch finally gets here and it's gorgeous. It fits in the room just right, I love the fabric, and it's so comfortable. Our poor couch is only two weeks old when it is horribly graffitied by Noah with a blue ball point pen. It was a nightmare. My parents were here when it happened and witnessed my dismay. We had the old couch for two years and it hadn't suffered abuse like that, then this new one is only two weeks old and there are multiple long blue streaks on 4 of the six cushions AND the throw pillows. This little guy had gone to town scribbling on our beautiful new couch. We got the marks pretty lightened up so now you can only see them if you look for them. The graffiti and abuse continues though on this poor couch. Noah hasn't let up, luckily it's been with washable markers and not ball point pens or sharpies. It's funny because I think a lot of people would freak out if they found crayola marker streaks on their new couch and I just breath a sigh of relief that it's something easy to get out. I also had the pleasure of washing out a ground in 'fruit by the foot' and yes we have a no eating on the new couch rule, but it got there regardless. Oh, then yesterday it was peed on by Kai-nobody's going to want to sit on this couch by the time I'm done with this post. He took an impromptu nap in the afternoon(on account of being up half the night with asthma) and he's potty trained when he's awake, but not asleep. Something his mom didn't think about until he was an hour into his nap. After a thorough cleaning, I pretty much drown the cushion, the thing is still drying. I can't wait to see what else is in store for our poor couch. I've thought about covering it with a sheet, but the kids will just rip the sheets off and it'll look sloppy and messy all the time. I'm resigned to this couch becoming our junker couch at warp speed. It's still comfy and I'll flip the cushions over to hide all the "secrets" when company comes over. I'm sure you have a horrible picture in your head about what this couch looks like, but really it still looks (and smells) great. It's holding up well, the secret is getting to the stains when they're fresh, it's one thing I can't tell myself "oh, I'll clean that tomorrow".

3 comments:

Becca said...

I only laugh because so a change it's on someone elses furniture!!!! Please forgive me!!!!! You know my track record when it comes to markers pends and the like!!!Kids!!!!

The Pancake Master said...

I recommend this stuff for removal of ink stains:

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-AHB

A Sharpie came open in my pocket and (I had thought) ruined my favorite pair of pants with a huge black spot. Sure enough I used this stuff and it worked like a charm!

Whitney said...

Our time together certainly went by too fast, sorry we bailed kind of early... next time we'll stay longer! The couch is great, I love the no eating rule, as they say, rules are made to be broken.