Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Phew!

RIP Zac

Noah's owie

Kai getting better


So glad September's over. September was a stressful month to say the least. With the start of school, soccer and my job we were busy enough, but add in the extra "incidents" and it's enough to put one over the edge.
First sadly, Aaron's 19 year old cousin, Zac, was murdered. It was a very shocking and upsetting time for the family. His parents and two younger brothers have shown profound strength and love to all those around them. EVERYONE went to the funeral out in Colorado except the kids and I. It was nice that Aaron could go and relay to us how everyone was doing. On Sunday, we were heading out the door to pick Aaron up from the airport. I was doing some last minute straightening up and swung a door closed when I heard a cry from behind the door. I pulled the door back open to see what was going on and there was Noah, crying, holding his finger. I thought "oh no, did you get your finger pinched in the door." I bent over to check out his finger and saw blood around the nail-man I really got him. Wellll, then I turned his finger over and there was the surprise. The tip, above his cuticle was hanging off. I slid it back into place and put it on ice. Then my first thought was to go to the ER, but then in the confusion I wasn't sure if ice was going to preserve the finger tissue or kill it, so I called 911. Within 5 minutes a fire truck was at our house, they looked at it and told me to go to the ER. They helped me load my kids in the car, but then Noah threw up, turned gray and his eyes rolled back and didn't open. I had stayed pretty calm until that point. I started crying, wringing my hands and that's when the fire fighters decided to have Noah go in an ambulance. It was so strange to have NO family around to rely on. Everyone was still in Co. for the funeral. Just then I got a call from Aaron wondering why we weren't there to pick him up. He says I told him to take a cab to the ER because Noah had lost part of his finger and I had to go in the ambulance. I pretty much hung up on him leaving him rather worried. Luckily a friend around the corner was home to take Mia and Kai (who were very upset to see their brother hurt). We got to the ER (Aaron beat us there) and waited, and waited, and waited. Nobody had told up anything so I started freaking out that if they didn't hurry and get the finger reattached it wouldn't take. Finally I went out and had screamed at them to get in there an look at my poor, 3 year old son, who was in pain and needed a doctor. I don't usually do things like that, but I think it was my guilt from having been the one to close the door on his finger. What's that saying? "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". A doctor came in a minute later. She examined him and said they should have no problem getting it back on and that it should have no trouble healing. I was so relieved! NOAH WATCHED THE WHOLE THING!! He watched the dr. open up the bloody bandage, he watched her shove 5 needles full of numbing medicine in and around his finger, he watched as the top of his finger was sewed back on and he never cried! He is tough stuff!! Aaron and I couldn't even watch all that. We got him home and spoiled him with candy and movies. Later in the week we took him to a hand surgeon who agreed with the ER dr. that the top was reattaching well and apart from his finger becoming a little longer and a funny finger print he was going to be ok. No sooner had we gotten past this than Kai started breathing funny. Are you serious?! I don't remember ever dealing with this amount of stress while pregnant, I'm worried I'm going to create one stressed out kid. Anyway, I was up with Kai all night, giving him breathing treatments. The next morning Aaron said he would stay home from work and take him to the doctor. Our doctor is really cautious because Kai's asthma can go down hill very fast, we thought for sure she would admit him to the hospital. This time she decided to give Kai the treatments he would have gotten in the hospital in her office and if there was no improvements by the end of the day she would send us to the hospital. We went back and forth to her office 3 times, but the treatments worked and we were able to stay out of the hospital. Kai was all the way better in one week which was good, his usual rate of recovery is two weeks. I know better than to ever ask "what else can go wrong" because something else can always happen. This time it didn't and we made it out of September. Here's to an uneventful October!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Whoa, I'm stressed out just reading that! You are a champ for surviving all that and Noah is one tough kiddo! I have a little idea of what it's like to have an asthmatic kid. My poor Harley suffers from asthma and we have had a few trips to the ER vet in the middle of the night because of it. It sucks.