Thursday, April 21, 2011

My three sons

I have a gripe (I realize almost all my blogs as of late are gripes so I will strive to make the next one up beat). I go out running errands with my three little boys while Mia is in school and get just about every look you can imagine. I get the "sympathy" look, which I translate to people feeling sorry for me that I have no girl in my bunch. I get the "amazed" look, which I translate to people wondering why I venture out with three small children at all regardless of gender. I get the "kindly" look, mostly from older parents and grandparents, which I translate to those people remembering when their kids were little. Then of course I get the "annoyed/angry/mean" looks which I can translate to a couple of things. Maybe they want me to get out of their way with my big ole cart, maybe my kids are being loud, or maybe they just think I've procreated too many times?! You know being near SF there really are a lot of people that think you should have strictly two or less. Whatever look I get doesn't bother me near as much as this comments does...
If you are in the grocery store, Target, mall, wherever, do not say to a woman with a lot of kids "LOOKS LIKE YOU'VE GOT YOUR HANDS FULL". Pardon my french, but no shit Sherlock --I've never actually said that as a comeback! First of all, telling a woman it looks like her hands are full is not some kind of compliment. You just make her feel like she can't handle what she's doing. Just tell her she has a beautiful family whether they're screaming and crying or perfectly behaved. And secondly, you will not be the first person to ever say that to her, so kindly refrain so she can hear it at least one time less than she would have otherwise. Oh, and someone just gave me a wonderful comeback because I never really knew what to say to a person when they would tell me "it looks like your hands are full" well it's better than having them empty (in my nicest tone)! I am stepping down from my soap box now.
Continuing with my three sons, would you like to guess which brother Eli looks like? Here are picture of Kai, Noah and Eli all at about two months of age.

Kai


Noah


Eli

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I get that comment all the time, and I only have two children! I like that comeback because I agree it's not really a compliment and I never know how to respond. Especially when my kids are being so good and I feel like I have things under control pretty good.