
I have pioneer ancestors, actual pioneers that crossed the plains in handcarts. They're on my mother's side and I've always enjoyed that part of my ancestry. I remember when I was younger I was thinking that would be cool if I had pioneer ancestors on both sides when it suddenly dawned on me that I do. My grandmother Edith Billen is a pioneer of a different kind. She led her family in hope and faith. She believed in a message delivered to her from missionaries and brought her family unto Christ. She did it alone too. My grandfather didn't go along with the whole church thing until later, but through her and their children's examples he eventually did become a church going man as well. She was a modern day pioneer.
If it wasn't for my grandma I would not be where I am today. I mean "where" literally. I came to live with her in Redwood City and go to college. If she hadn't gone along with letting me move into her home I would not have met Aaron, and had the wonderful family I do.

My grandma, my kids GG, passed away January 5, 2012. While she lived a long 88 years, it was quite sudden. We were lucky enough to have her with us for Christmas and even though she needed a lot of assistance I thought she might just make it to 90. Getting to spend those precious days of Christmas with her eased the pain of her loss. This is the last picture I took with her and I'm glad my sister snapped it.

Things that always remind me of grandma:
Roses, humming birds, roosters, TJ Maxx, Trader Joe's, Hansen's soda, Edgewood Rd., Sound of Music, and carousels.

I'll miss her laugh, but I'm sure she's sharing it with others in heaven.

1 comment:
Nice post, Julie. great to see you and Aaron and see your house and meet your kids for the first time (!!). We must do it more often (and under better circumstances...). Love ya, Cousin Robert
Post a Comment